Every household in Mexico have their very own Mexican Picadillo Recipe, it’s the same with Carne con Chile the recipe varies all over the country.
Picadillo con Papas | Mexican Picadillo with Potatoes
Makes: 4 servings and bit extra
Time: 40 min (mas o menos)
- 1 1/2 pounds Ground Beef
- 1 Potato, Peeled and Chopped in small cubes.
- 1 tsp oil (I used olive oil)
- 1 Medium size white Onion, chopped.
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced.
- 5 Tomatillos, husk removed, cooked and chopped (Bring water to boil and add tomatillos, tomatillos are ready when colour change to brighter green)
- 3 Jalapeños, cooked and chopped in small pieces.
- 2 Carrots, Peeled and Chopped.
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 Chicken bouillon
- 1/4 cup water
- Salt and Pepper to taste
How to Make Mexican Picadillo con Papas:
- Bring Water to boil and cook the potato (peeled) (15 min) Set a side, let it cool and chopped.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan and brown the ground beef, working in batches add ground beef to pan and cook until browned, seasoned, remove excess of oil and set a side.
- Using same pan where ground beef was browned add onion and garlic until fragrant.
- Add to the onion, garlic, ground beef, potatoes, carrots, chopped tomatillos, chopped jalapeños, cumin, half chicken bouillon, water, season with salt – pepper and stir well.
- Let it boil for about 5 min then reduce heat to medium – low and let it simmer for about 20 min / until almost all liquid is absorbed. Taste and if need add salt & pepper.
- Serve with Mexican Rice and warm corn tortillas and avocado on the side
* I love taco nights, and I often prepare this Mexican Picadillo con Papas.
Kept it simple, add a splash of lime, salsa verde, bunch of spinach and a bit of shredded chihuahua cheese as the photo below. It’s a bit of Tex-Mex taco style.*Jalapeno pepper can be substitute for serrano pepper, poblano pepper, cuban pepper, any pepper of your choice!*Here is another Mexican Picadillo Recipe.
Buen Provecho, Enjoy!